Soul, mind, and body personified into writing. These are my Daily Journals where i hold nothing back. I keep true to myself, and keep true to my words in this sacred place where it is solely possible. Against a world that i live in, this is my one solace... my one chance at freedom...

My Photo
Name:Jon
Location:Glendale, California, United States

 

 

Age:
21
Birthday:
March 6 (Pisces) }{
School:
California State University of Long Beach
Marital Status:
Not Looking
Site spotlight:
Myspace

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, April 11, 2004

aftermath of lent:.

this is the first day of easter:.

This is how my Lent went:. i had given up a few things and promised to pray more. Looking back on how the last 40 or more days went, i did okay. Not great, but i'm satisfied with most of the results...

I had four things i gave up during lent and i also promised that i would pray the rosary everyday. I'm proud of that last one... except for a few days during that season i was able to fulfill that promise in it's entirety. To make up for the days that i missed i prayed double rosary during holy week. I was so close to messing up again during this last week but at last minutes of the days i would realize that i didnt do my second rosary and i would be thankful that i had at least 10 mins left when i realized that i needed to do it still. I'm glad i was able to pray more this season. I used to make bs promises of praying 5 mins per day that i never fulfilled. Now i can say i actually made it through the entirety of lent praying daily. Praying the rosary worked out for me in numerous ways, i was able to memorize the prayer after the first few weeks so that now i can pray it freely compared to before when i really didn't know it so i couldnt really pray it. It gave me time to reflect on God during the day. It gave me more patience in life overall. Sometimes when i was really stressed during this season *which was alot* i would pray, and suddenly i would feel better. When i would get frustrated, my frustrations would leave temporarily and i would be able to assess situations better. Praying more also helped me learn more about myself and what i need to make myself a better person.

Another thing that was rough for me in lent was the curfews that i set up for myself. I wanted a challenge during lent, and i did challenge myself pretty well. i didn't fulfill my hardest challenges to the extent that i would want to, but i did try to fulfill my curfew promise. During lent *i got the idea from my friend dominique* i was going to cut off my fone/internet time at 1030. I also added in extra curfews after that. I would sleep by 11 (this is to counter the insomniac side of me) and i would have a 1 am curfew on special days (usually when i can't avoid being out, like when i'm serving at HOJ) this is to counter the fact that at times when i seem to be out all night and come home at 4. I wanted to be a better example to my family so i decided that coming home late wasn't too good of an idea. I did okay with these curfews, except for the 11 o' clock curfew. I kept up with it of course, but towards the end of the season i decided it wasn't a priority for me. I kept the 1030 no phone/internet curfew vigilantly, in extent of frustration at points when i really wanted to finish conversations with people. Towards the end i also had a lot of work to do for school, so i moved the 11 curfew to my 1 curfew and then it just became i need to be asleep by 1 o clock and on those nights i was busy working/studying anyway so it was justified in a way. Often at times in this season i wasn't able to fulfill these curfews. At times when my life was so stressed that i couldn't take it anymore and i needed to break them. Times when i was so frustrated that i didnt care. And there where times where i just forgot. Of course i'm glad that i didn't totally fail in respect towards the whole season, and whenever i had fallen off track, i always willed myself to continue on till the end of lent. During holy week i followed the curfews strictly, also in order to make up for those times that i failed. The curfews were a challenge for me but they had their benefits as well. i had more sleep at night. i'm back to normal sleeping habits, awake in the day, asleep at night. i didn't come home as late as i used to. i wasn't roaming the streets at 3 am in the morning any longer, i was home and in bed where my mom wouldn't worry about me. i didn't spend as much time on the internet/phone as i usually do. I guess it gave me some control in my life.

I had two more challenges in lent. These two were supposed to be my main ones, and my hardest ones. The ones i was to work my hardest to fulfil, and i can say i am the most disappointed in myself in relation to these promises as i look back on lent. My two main goals was my talking and flirting abstinence. I can't say i fulfilled these to the point i wanted/needed to. i could say that i had tried, and perhaps by God's glory that was enough that i needed to fulfill. The talking fast came near impossible to carry out, and i think i let go of it midway through. It became less and less of a priority as lent progressed, maybe it was for the best as i couldnt rationalize the motive behind it anymore. It's an advanced challenge for me and maybe when the time comes during another lenten season i will be able to carry it through. The second challenge was my most frustrating challenge of all. I went into this season with high expectations of fulfilling this promise but inexpectantly complications arose and i had to fight with myself at points to keep my promise true. I can't explain what i mean (well not yet... the time isn't right) but i have to say taht this was the most frustrating/stressful thing that i had to endure this season. It brought me into depression, sadness, frustration, and more as lent progressed. I am thankful for praying the rosary because it helped me deal with this challenge a lot. It granted me serenity and peace at the times when i needed it. I want to note, going into lent this was going to be such a minor challenge. i was so sure that i would complete it with flying colors... but i was caught by surprise on it's difficulties and i can't even come to terms on what happened. i don't even understand it. But i held off... no flirting for the whole entire season of lent. even if it killed me sometimes.

Well the season is over now, i can relinquish my vows, if not entirely, just a little. I am glad i made it through. i'm glad i was tested. I'm glad that i had grown. I can offer a weak smile at this point. Not to say i'm not happy. au contraire, the season has drained me entirely but i am glad it has. I am going to take a week off and just relax and regain my strength and get back to life as it was before lent, except i am different now. and that is a truly wonderous thing

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Sorry...if your reading this, you might not understand some parts...or, worse, you'll actually misinterpret some posts...don't sweat it juss read the...

[ ]



  • howie day - collide
  • gavin degraw - chariot
  • 3 doors down - here without you
  • 3 doors down - let me go
  • 3 doors down - behind those eyes
  • 3 doors down - Here by me
  • third eye blind - hows it going to be
  • blessed union of souls - i believe
  • goo goo dolls - i'll be
  • eve 6 - here's to the night
  • staind - it's been a while
  • toad the wet sprocket - all i want
  • vertical horizon - you're a god
  • vertical horizon - everything you want
  • mad caddies - drinking for 11
  • lifehouse - hanging by a moment
  • lifehouse - you and me
  • papa roach - scars
  • foo fighters - everlong
May today there be peace within. May you trust God that you are exactly where you are meant to be. May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith. May you use those gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to you....May you be content knowing you are a child of God.... Let this presence settle into our bones, and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love. It is there for each and every one of you.